KartExtreme KartRider Forums

Welcome to the KartExtreme KartRider Forums forums.

It looks like you have not yet joined our community and currently have limited access to view most discussions other KartExtreme exclusives. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, ask questions and discuss with other members, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, learn more on our KartRider guides, get access to our exclusive Ghost Database and many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KartExtreme KartRider Forums > KartRider > Zoomtown (General Discussion)

Old 08-20-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
DaFlameking 
Track Official

Guild: Carbon

Send a message via AIM to DaFlameking Send a message via MSN to DaFlameking Send a message via Yahoo to DaFlameking Send a message via Skype™ to DaFlameking
Post Jae Yong Min Interview

Although I couldnt get a crack out of Nexon Reps, there has been a recent interview with Jae Yong Min, the Marketing Chief at Nexon about their games and I thought I'd share a snippet.

Quote:
Nexon has been very successful at, as you said, dominating different niche markets, finding some kind of hole and filling that. Like KartRider, FPS titles, and MapleStory it's all targeting a specific demographic and then maximizing the users there. That's one of the reasons why it's difficult for new games to come out because people are still playing those free to play games that they've invested so much time in. So to me the question is, is it difficult to launch a new product when you're almost competing with yourself?

JYM: That's very difficult to answer in one word, so we have to look at the situation from many angles. From the development stage we try not to make games [for markets that we already dominate]. But game development is not that controllable, so that eventually we'll have some games that will actually compete within the company.

When that happens we just look at it in this way, like some other companies are developing the games outside the company. When that happens and we decide that that game, even though it might cannibalize the already existing game, if we think it's valuable we'll just make the game. And then two games do compete with each other.

But because this is an online game, this is not a product like I said before it's a service. So with already existing games, even through patches we can't make the games go in significantly different directions. Plus, almost 50 percent of our revenue is from the global market, so we don't only focus on the Korean market. So even though they may cannibalize some of the Korean market, you know, we have different markets like Japan, America, and China.

If I understand correctly, it sounds like most Nexon games have sort of been in the middle in terms of hardcore vs. casual.

JYM: Right.

How will you be able to take on the higher level area? It feels like in Korea more people are competing for the mid-level, but world-wide more people are trying to compete on the high level. So at that level Aion just came out, World of Warcraft exists, but then at the same time there is a game like Tabula Rasa, millions and millions of dollars and well, we all know what happens. How do you take the Nexon style and bring it on that kind of level?

JYM: Ill answer your question in the way of Nexons strategy for the U.S. markets, because we believe that the U.S. market is more of the hardcore base. I believe that unlike Asia the casual games boom hasn't been fully exploited in the U.S. markets.

So, our goal for the U.S. market would be to start those kinds of sensations that already happened in the Asian market, through our lineup like MapleStory or KartRider or other games. That's gonna be our first strategy. Through that I think some of the console gamers, even the hardcore gamers, will play our games.
Cliffs/Sum up: Of course KartRider is being placed in the Casual bracket category but this shows that the team at Nexon thinks that N.A. is not ready for casual games. Nintendo has been doing it for years and they have been succeeding well. We are ready for your casual KartRider Nexon!

Gong xi fa ca!
DaFlameking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
Born 
Yellow Glove Drifter

Send a message via AIM to Born Send a message via MSN to Born

Pssssh casual

What about us hardcare racing game fans? Not everyone likes crappy unbalanced MMORPG's Nexon... :(
Born is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
TeamDarkness 
ProX ieR

IGN: ProXSky
Guild: ProX

Send a message via Yahoo to TeamDarkness

NAKR T_T
Where did get that info from?

TeamDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
VarsityKart 
Green Glove Drifter

Kartrider is casual..? no wayz it's one of teh hardc0re game for sho !
But seriously, who said America is all about hardcore gaming, Asians are all over the place, they're still interested in Asian games....for example like me !
VarsityKart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
LOLxArcSaber 
LOL @ UR FACE

IGN: PK: LOLxBeef KKR IGN: LOLxArcSaber VKR: AlacrityBeef
Guild: TeamLOL Team N2O

OMG. Can Nexon be more stupid? Shit boring MMORPGs is not what the nexon fan wants. (Except CA haha CA's gameplay is the best.) The fans of Nexon clearly wants NAKR out and yet they abuse us by not releasing it cause they're so stupid they think it's just some stupid casual kidish game that won't make any money comparing to other games. Oh please look how successful Korean is with Kartrider. It's one of the top games in Nexon. Well KOREA Nexon that is.

Nexon SUCKS. <==== period.
LOLxArcSaber is offline   Reply With Quote