KartExtreme KartRider Forums

Welcome to the KartExtreme KartRider Forums forums.

It looks like you have not yet joined our community and currently have limited access to view most discussions other KartExtreme exclusives. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, ask questions and discuss with other members, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, learn more on our KartRider guides, get access to our exclusive Ghost Database and many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KartExtreme KartRider Forums > KartRider > Zoomtown (General Discussion)

Old 10-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #31
Divad 
No License

Congee, you're being rediciously silly with your view of Okiesmokie's concept to bring the community together. The website in question wasn't his own; it's a well-known website for community-based ladders that has been going for a while now. Okiesmokie didn't join just to spam or advertise, he was attempting to bring the community together while preforming a routine thing that is done in games that can have ladder-based events (it's much like how many other events occur in card games, board games, racing games, and generally any sports game[s]).

While the concept of posting the times and thus may come to a shock, this doesn't mean that there's a full level of 'luck' or 'skill'. It's just something fun to keep up with - just like how people on Sleepywood have been posting things like: Guild rankings, Class rankings, and other similar aspects to MapleStory. Kart Rider, on the other hand, is more adaptive to the ladder ranking system as it can be done quickly, in a "player versus player" environment (unlike MS - where the only ranking can really be done by level). Lag can be a contributed problem while having community-based (operated and managed by a member of the community), as they haven't some type of direct connection to the server that someone at Nexon America or any other licensed distributors of Kart Rider would have (thus, latency will be a problem in viewing/judging the situation). Although, at the end of the day, it still depends on what the server throws out (ie: who wins, what time they had, etc). It's nothing too difficult to keep up with - that's why ladder systems are so popular in just about any type of game (even some RPGs with a strong sense of PvP/GvG - like Guild Wars or World of Warcraft).

Let it go, it's not like he was spamming or advertising one of those horribly lame sites about sucking someone's blood, their myspace, or some revenue site that gives them a small amount of money for viewing it. All proceeds from advertisements on the site being linked in this thread are going directly to the owner (which Okiesmokie is not - if you do some whois background and just poke around at the site alone without being biased about Okiesmokie's participation with the site overall).

Latahs.
Divad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #32
RKAddict 
Super Moderator

It bothers me a shitload that you made an account just to come in this thread and advertise your love for OkieSmokie. Very disgraceful.

No hostility, just saying it bothers me.

NAKR: NPXlTaco
PK: ElDiablo
KKR: NPXlTaco
RKAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #33
Congee 
Resident Ninja Mod

Actually, I did read what you said and it didn't answer my question. This ladder only requires that you play the person once, right? And then if someone loses, they report it. So if it only requires one match, and the person merely wins by luck, then how would it account for that? Like, if my opponent wins by luck and will not rematch me, so I don't report my loss, but my opponent reports it, then how would that be dealt with? You said rematches, but again, you also said that the sses most likely won't be faked, so believing that, the rematches would be unlikely, right? How would that work?

You seem to be misunderstanding my last post. My last post, about the "making an account to advertise your own site and nothing more than that does not contribute to the community" was not explicitly referring to you, no. My first post was, yes. But my last post was a response to your "Creating a method of community interaction via friendly competition brings nothing to the community? It seems you need to re-think your position.", and other statements about advertising your site in response to my saying that accounts made for advertising don't contribute. I don't see what's hard to understand when I'm already saying that I acknowledge your posting in other areas, and so I take back what I said and apologize. All I'm saying that an account that is made for advertising is indeed just that, and does not contribute.

At what point did I say I had a problem with it? I'm asking you questions to see how it works, and if any of the questions I ask are something you haven't though about yet, it gives you a chance to think about it before it happens. I haven't said "your site sucks! it's useless!" and crap like that. I'm genuinely asking questions to see how it would work, and if something came up that you haven't though over yet, then that'd be helping you as well. I'm actually trying to help you with these questions, and not putting your site down.

Btw, I haven't been flaming you nor trying to cause drama. Criticism is not the same as flaming.
Congee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #34
RKAddict 
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congee
Actually, I did read what you said and it didn't answer my question. This ladder only requires that you play the person once, right? And then if someone loses, they report it. So if it only requires one match, and the person merely wins by luck, then how would it account for that?
You don't win merely by luck. If someone gets flipped at the beginning, and they don't have the skill to catch up to you, then they probably didn't deserve to win in the first place.

Just so you know, there's a system in Kart Rider. It's called the pulling system. The person in first goes the normal speed. Everyone that is not in first consecutively goes slightly faster. That way, if two people play the same way and are exactly the same close to the wall, etc. then the person in 2nd will eventually catch up to the person in first.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #35
Okiesmokie 
Banned

Quote:
Actually, I did read what you said and it didn't answer my question. This ladder only requires that you play the person once, right? And then if someone loses, they report it. So if it only requires one match, and the person merely wins by luck, then how would it account for that?
Give me an example of winning by luck that isn't lag; then. You're trying to get me to rebut something that you haven't laid down.

Quote:
At what point did I say I had a problem with it? ..snip..
The point where you referred to the rules about my post.

Quote:
Btw, I haven't been flaming you nor trying to cause drama. Criticism is not the same as flaming.
Criticism with the intent to be hostile is the textbook definition of flaming, my dear.
Okiesmokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #36
Congee 
Resident Ninja Mod

I have no example since I'm only giving hypothetical situations. A person could merely be having a bad day (or good day) and can be winning like that. I come in first all the time and I suck at the game. It wouldn't be fair to other people if I won the match and wouldn't let them re-match me.

Yes, I have a problem with advertising, that's right. I never said I had a problem with the site though.

I'm being critical yes, but I have no intent of being hostile as I'm actually trying to make suggestions or give situations that you guys could expand on, should such things actually happen.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #37
RKAddict 
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have no example since I'm only giving hypothetical situations. A person could merely be having a bad day (or good day) and can be winning like that. I come in first all the time and I suck at the game. It wouldn't be fair to other people if I won the match and wouldn't let them re-match me.
If they cannot catch up, then they are not that skilled. Perhaps they are better than you most of the time, but not all the time. Rematches can always take place. Simply challenge them again.

Edit-

Quote:
But what if the person is unwilling to rematch? Like hell, I know I won by luck. What if I don't want to rematch and decide to report it as.. what was it "unreported matches" (because the other person didn't want to report his loss since he felt it was unfair)?
People that cannot handle losing will never become that great anyways.

You win sometimes, you lose sometimes. There is a such thing as winning by luck, but in that case, both people need to be mature about it and decide what to do.

If people are unhappy with their situation, then they should appeal to OkieSmokie or one of the other ladder moderators. Then they can be forced to have a rematch.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #38
Congee 
Resident Ninja Mod

But what if the person is unwilling to rematch? Like hell, I know I won by luck. What if I don't want to rematch and decide to report it as.. what was it "unreported matches" (because the other person didn't want to report his loss since he felt it was unfair)?
Old 10-07-2007, 05:45 PM   #39
RKBaller 
#YOLO

Ay, fighting/flaming/ what ever the hell your doing ends here. Flaming/bashing will end after this post. Post stuff that's actually meaningful to the thread.

v No..it doesn't.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:56 AM   #40
Lolegasm 
Red Glove Drifter

I agree whole-heartedly with what Congee is saying. This ladder won't accurately determine the skill of people, as some races come down to pure luck. I really don't get why everyone is arguing against this point made by her. Sure, this ladder has a good chance of flourishing and becoming popular, but all she is trying to say is that it will not be accurate in determining the true skill of a player. She makes a valid point, which I am in total agreement with. Pointless arguing won't help anyone.

I am going to sign up for this ladder anyway, and I'm sure it will do well and become successful with time. All I am saying is that I don't believe it will be 100% accurate.

That doesn't count as flaming, does it? :?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:35 AM   #41
Okiesmokie 
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolegasm
I agree whole-heartedly with what Congee is saying. This ladder won't accurately determine the skill of people, as some races come down to pure luck. I really don't get why everyone is arguing against this point made by her. Sure, this ladder has a good chance of flourishing and becoming popular, but all she is trying to say is that it will not be accurate in determining the true skill of a player. She makes a valid point, which I am in total agreement with. Pointless arguing won't help anyone.

I am going to sign up for this ladder anyway, and I'm sure it will do well and become successful with time. All I am saying is that I don't believe it will be 100% accurate.

That doesn't count as flaming, does it? :?
As you start to play more and more games, the skill level will override the luck level. Again, I still don't have a valid example of what "winning by luck" is.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #42
Jaguar 
Rainbow Glove Drifter

Send a message via MSN to Jaguar

Flying lag?

PK 1 - Cheezy
PK 3 - 0o0Jaguar0o0
KKR - PROTLxSmexy
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #43
iamj 
Yellow Glove Drifter

There is no luck in speed.

The only "luck", is if you're in second place, and the person ahead of you fucks up. That's you getting "lucky", but it isnt luck.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #44
Okiesmokie 
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamj

The only "luck", is if you're in second place, and the person ahead of you fucks up. That's you getting "lucky", but it isnt luck.
That's not luck, that's the lack of skill of your opponent.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #45
Lolegasm 
Red Glove Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiesmokie
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamj

That's not luck, that's the lack of skill of your opponent.
Actually, if the person infront of you is skilled, then that is unlucky for them, making it lucky for you.

Yes, it is their fault, and it means they don't deserve to win the race, but it's still lucky for you.